Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Food for Thought

So, I was thinking (again) about how the Commonwealth of Massachusetts doesn't yet trust me to own a firearm (read: they don't have my $100 and my first-born child yet). And how there are those uneducated, and/or ignorant, and/or just plain evil types who argue that guns are deadly instruments that have no place in the homes of regular citizens.

So, I took a quick inventory of all the potentially deadly implements I own which, amazingly, haven't yet injured or killed anybody. I'm sure I've left several killing machines off this list, and I didn't bother including the category "Blunt Objects". I don't have the time to compile that list.

Power Saws:
10" Contractor's table saw
10" Sliding compound miter saw
7-1/4" Circular saw
Jig Saw
Milwaukee Super Sawzall
Hand Saws:
Crosscut saw
Hacksaw
Coping Saw
Pruning saw
Sharp Metal Objects:
Wustoff Kitchen Knifes (7)
Swiss Army Knife
Steak knives
Utility knives (4)
Scissors (several)
Wood chisels (2)
masonry chisel
4" Razor Blade scraper
Small razor scraper (2)
Paint Scraper
Pruning shears
Pointy Metal Objects:
Screwdrivers (probably around 30 or so)
Wood awl
Ice pick
Metal skewers
large barbecue fork
Hammers:
Claw hammer
2-lb. sledgehammer
10-lb. sledgehammer
10-lb. Pick axe
Nail guns:
16 ga. Finish nailer
18 ga. Brad nailer
Powder actuated fastener gun
Gas-powered Equipment:
Snowblower
Lawnmower
Motor Vehicles:
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nissan Sentra
Other:
24" wrecking bar
12" nail puller
4-ft. crowbar
Shovels (4)
Propane blowtorch
Cordless drills (2)
Electric drill
Electric hedge trimmer
Belt Sander
4 D-cell Maglite
2-gallon can of gasoline
Now, what kind of father am I - keeping an arsenal like that at home with two small children in the house? Any of the above tools can be used to kill or severely maim another human being with little or no training whatsoever.

If anyone from the anti-liberty, anti-personal responsibilty, gun-grabbing camp (or any subject of the benevolent government of the UK) would care to explain to me why I have yet to embark on a bloody rampage through my neighborhood, I would really appreciate it. Come on...think about my children!