Tuesday, December 07, 2004

PC: Ph**k Christmas

It is downright pathetic what the Christmas holiday season has become, courtesy of the PC police, in the name of "sensitivity". What's that, you say? Your boss put up a Christmas tree or a menorah in the lobby and you're offended? Jesus Christ! Get over it! It's a fucking decoration!

Cases in point:

The Sarasota Herald Tribune says some schools in Florida are so worked up over the thought of anything smacking of Christianity appearing in classes that they are banning seasonal celebrations altogether.

In this year’s winter concert at Freedom Elementary School in East Manatee students will be singing about America and patriotism instead of about C-----mas and the holidays. Even snowflakes are verboten among the classroom decorations.

"There's a lot of rules and regulations out there," said Freedom Principal Gary Holbrook. "You're trying to be respectful of everyone."


And, closer to home (same link):

The mayor of Somerville, Mass., has to issue a written apology for daring to refer to the city’s upcoming celebration as a "Christmas party," reports the Somerville Journal.

Mayor Joe Curtatone's apology statement said: "A press release issued from my office last week mistakenly identified this month's City Holiday Party as a 'Christmas Party.' I apologize for the mistake and to anyone who was offended by it. On Dec. 21, City Hall will welcome the entire community to a party honoring all holiday traditions and celebrating this most festive of seasons."


I also heard on the radio recently (no confirmation of this) of one local school putting on a stage version "How the Grinch Stole the Holiday". WTF??? These are but a few examples that have come to light in the last few days. To find and post them all would take me the better part of the week.

Do you long for a taste of the good old days? Check out the opening verse of "The Twelve Days After Christmas", performed on stage by my class in elementary school (granted, this WAS in Maine in the mid-70's).

The Twelve Days After Christmas

The first day after Christmas, my true love and I had a fight,
And so I chopped the pear tree down and burned it just for spite.
Then with a single cartridge I shot that blasted partridge
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.


Let's see - we have a Christian holiday, domestic violence, tree-killing, carcinogenic air pollution, firearms, and the slaughter of innocent animals - and that's just the FIRST VERSE. Ooooh, I'm feeling woozy...call the ACLU.

One guess as to who played the role of the disgruntled bird-killer.

Don't despair, folks. There are still pockets of sanity and common sense out there. You just have to look for them.

UPDATE: From Boston Herald columnist, Margery Eagan:

Up in a Beverly elementary school, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is now "How the Grinch Stole the Holidays" and Santa is not Santa but the holiday fairy.


I'm gonna be ill.