Thursday, February 10, 2005

A Million 0.6 Miles Away

Following up on their earlier story (blogged here) concerning the atrocious treatment of Brookline residents by the powers that be in the Brookline Police Department, the Brookline TAB has these two articles up, that if nothing else, make me extremely grateful for the 0.6 miles separating my house from the PPSB (People's Police State of Brookline).

Try to remember, like so many situations you may find yourself in, things could ALWAYS be (slightly) worse.

Thank you to reader Seth for the links. I have GOT to start paying closer attention to shit around here. I have saved these as text files (here and here) should the links below eventually expire due to the paper's archiving of material posted on their website.

Lets begin, shall we. As difficult as this is, I will try to save space by posting here only the highlights lowlights from each article. And of course, all applicable warnings regarding breakable objects, beverages, and deceased equines are in full effect.

License too scary

Paul Theodos, a retired Boston Police officer and Searle Avenue homeowner, said (Brookline Police Sgt. Michael) Raskin made it clear upfront that that he would not be approved for a license to carry a gun when he applied in September 2002.

"[Raskin] set up a very hostile environment when I was filling out the license application," said Theodos. "He basically told me there was no way I'd get a license to carry, and that I should apply for a hunting or target practice license instead."


What better target to hone one's skills on than a carjacker?

Theodos, who says he is a veteran of "1,000 felony arrests" in his career as a cop, told the TAB a hunting gun license was essentially worthless to him.

"I know there are friends of bad guys I ran into as an officer who are still on the street. That's why I wanted a license to carry a gun ... for my own protection," said Theodos.

He withdrew the application, however, the day after meeting with Raskin because he believed the entire process would have been a waste of time. Theodos, who had received his license to carry in Boston for years before applying in Brookline, eventually did get a denial letter from his 2002 application in July 2004.

"Some of the reasons they cited had nothing to do with me ... the [denial letter] was full of lies," said Theodos.

Raskin could not be reached by the TAB for comment.


I think might a comment or two on this once my blood stops boiling and my ulcer subsides.

Gun-toting cop admitted dependence on alcohol

It is difficult to get a gun license in Brookline, even with spotless criminal records.


Difficult? Christ, that's putting it a soft spin on it.

But Brookline Police Officer Steven Kaplan was carrying a loaded 9mm Smith & Wesson hand gun, for which he was fully licensed - even though he admitted being "dependant on alcohol or drugs," when he was arrested in Framingham last month.


No need to fret, folks. I'm sure Officer Kaplan here will be treated no differently than any other ordinary citizen caught in the same circumstance. 30 bonus points to anyone who can tell me why he would admit to an alcohol dependency. That's an easy one.

Kaplan's police-issue gun was confiscated by Framingham Police and returned to the Brookline Police.


How about any personal firearms he might be keeping in his home? I'm sure they were promptly seized as well.

Should Kaplan seek or be ordered to undergo treatment for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, he would be ineligible under state law to carry a gun for five years. His license could be restored after that period with an affidavit from a physician.


Just ask Dr. Lu, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to sign off on that one.

Kaplan's current status is unknown, but Police Chief Daniel O'Leary told the TAB recently that his department was conducting an ongoing investigation of Kaplan's arrest.


Ongoing, also known as "indefinite, never to see the light of day". And why do I have the sudden urge to fart smoke?

Once again, I would like to thank the editors at the Brookline TAB for staying on top of this story. Only from stories like this being made public, do we have half a snowball's chance in hell of anything resembling gun law reform and the restoration of all constitutional rights to the people of the Commonwealth.