Wednesday, March 16, 2005

More Big Diggings

Before I get my Big Dig post up later this afternoon, I thought I'd offer this one up as an appetizer.

Fellow Bay State blogger, Wave Maker, whose resume includes time served as General Counsel of the MBTA, has this post up on his dealings with the Big Dig, and the complete lack of anything resembling aggressive (to the point of ridiculous) cost-controlling measures.

During 1994, I had the occasion to advertise for a position in the law department for an attorney experienced in construction contract law. I received many resumes, one of the better ones coming from an individual who was working as one of the construction contract staff attorneys for the Central Artery project. I invited him in for an interview. During the interview, I asked him a rather mundane, and obvious, question, and a strange conversation ensued. As best I can recollect, it went somthing like this:

"So," I said, "tell me what it is that you do down there at CA/T."

He looked at me queerly, and said "Can I be frank?"

"I certainly hope so, in fact, I expect it," I assured him.

"I don't do anything," he said. He looked at me, embarrassed, and almost apologetic. "That's why I'm here. I'm going crazy down there, playing solitaire all day long." He shrugged. [emphasis mine]


I don't doubt his story for ONE second.