Friday, September 02, 2005

Riding Shotgun

This is in response to Behump's earlier comment:


I've decided my first purchase once my license shows up will be a Remington 870 Express Synthetic with 18" barrel (12 gauge). The 1911 can wait.


I don't know if he's on their mailing list or not, but this was from the latest e-mail from Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn:



An ideal 12-gauge utility gun featuring an 18" fixed cylinder
choke barrel, single front bead sight, non-glare matte finish
and 7-shot capacity.

America's best selling shotgun for over 50 years, the Model 870's
dependability is legendary. The receiver is milled from a solid billet
of steel for strength and durability, and the twin action bars insure
smooth, reliable non-binding action.

5 available now at Four Seasons: $289.95 ea.


That'd do it.

Though, following Jay's recommendation, I will most likely be taking the low-budget route and going with a used 12-gauge instead. It just needs to be reliable for SHTF situations. I'm not planning on going on any pretend hunting trips with John "Can I git me a huntin' license here?" Kerry anytime soon.

AFS in North Attleboro had a Smith & Wesson, short-barreled pump-action for $100 a while back. That thing felt solid as a tank. Alas, the Commonwealth hadn't yet granted me "free human" status at that time, so I was unable to acquire that dangerous "killing machine". It had more than few dings in the wood, but as I was telling Jay earlier today, having a few dings in it makes it that much easier to tolerate future dings.

To paraphrase Kim du Toit, "Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket?"