Friday, January 27, 2006

Gettin' Off Easy

From the Boston Globe:

LAWRENCE, Mass. -- A Lawrence man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole after being found guilty by a jury Thursday of first-degree murder.

[snip]

He was also found guilty of illegal possession of a firearm, for which he received a one-year sentence to be served concurrently.


Concurrently? What's the bloody point to that?

If I were the judge in this case, I'd see to it that he didn't start serving his one-year sentence until after he was officially pronounced dead in his cell, and the original, signed death certificate hand-delivered to my chamber*.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, we can't release your father's body for burial yet. He's got, let's see, 362 days now left to serve on the gun charge."


*After, of course, his lawyers' successful appeal of my original sentencing of "dismemberment by wild boar".