Wednesday, December 13, 2006

NUMB3RS

Over the last 33 months, I've blogged about many a story here at mAss Backwards involving the illegal use of firearms, and the ineffectiveness of our gun laws to curtail the violent crime rate in our urban areas.

And, yes, some of those stories involved individuals licensed by the state to own firearms. I've written about each and every one of those stories to come to my attention, and believe me, I'm looking for 'em.

By my count, there have been maybe ten or so such stories to hit the news wires, where a licensed gun owner used his or her firearm in a reckless or illegal manner. If anyone can come up with a more accurate summary, I'll be happy to update ths post.

Not counting incidents involving police officers (no amount of gun control will prevent them fom misusing their sidearms), or incidents where the person was subsequently not charged with any wrongdoing or acquitted of the charges brought against them, we're down to maybe three or four, including the Foxy Lady nutjob.

Anyone care to provide me with the number of gun-related crimes in that same time period, perpetrated by individuals prohibited by state or federal laws from possessing firearms?

Take a guess.

500?

1,000?

Yet, Massachusetts has a whole bunch of new gun control laws looming on the horizon, which, as usual, are inspired by the illegal actions of a miniscule percentage (n) of the population, and will be obeyed by only the remaining (100-n)% of us.