Monday, June 23, 2008

The Passing of a Giant

NYT: George Carlin, Splenetic Comedian, Dies at 71

George Carlin, the Grammy-Award winning standup comedian and actor who was hailed for his irreverent social commentary, poignant observations of the absurdities of everyday life and language, and groundbreaking routines like “Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television,” died in Santa Monica, Calif., on Sunday, according to his publicist, Jeff Abraham. He was 71.


This one hurts.

I've been a George Carlin fan for as long as I can remember. First saw him perform at City Hall Auditorium in Portland, Maine when I was in high school. I won't even bother posting any of my favorite Carlin bits here. I'd be typing, cutting, and pasting all damn week.

OK, maybe one...



Pure gold.

I miss the cantankerous, old bastard already.