Sunday, March 14, 2004

What the ...?

So, I'm perusing the junk mail that's sitting on the coffee table the other day, and I find the latest Orvis catalog. I decide to flip through it, because the last I knew (and someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), Orvis sold hunting and fishing clothes, or clothes that at least evoked the image of someone who might be inclined to go kill a furry critter or two. The catalog cover even stated something to the effect of "sporting tradition since 1856". Well, someone in charge at Orvis seems to have packed a little too much black powder in his bong.

The first (and only) thing that came to mind when flipping through the pages was Kim du Toit's essay, "The Pussification of the Western Male". You can read it here, and then check out the latest offerings from Orvis.

First, we have the Patch Madras Sport Coat.



Now the only real men who should be wearing this are rodeo clowns. They're some tough sons of bitches. I wouldn't want "get nuts stomped by cattle" in my job description.

Anyway, I could list half the catalog here, with accompanying...um...commentary, but I will just leave you with this manly number- the MultiColor Patch Piqué Shirt.