Monday, August 02, 2004

A bad day at the range...

...will ALWAYS be better than a good day in the office.

After much too long a absence, I made time to go to the range on Sunday. I'm still in practice mode with a .38 revolver in preparation for the range test that is one of the requirements for obtaining a gun permit in the City of Boston.

I have gotten to the point where I was doing quite well shooting two-handed at 15 yards, but I haven't been doing as well shooting one-handed, double action. This was my main focus on Sunday and one small adjustment in my stance produced dramatic results. I kept my free hand on the top of my belt exerting light pressure on my waist to balance the pressure of my shooting hand on the gun.

I shot 12 of 12 inside the 9-ring (at 7 yds) for 115 out of 120 possible points. Thought I was doing great until I switched back to two-handed shooting at 15 yds out. I couldn't hit the 10-ring to save my life.

If only I hadn't done so well on the previous target, I could have blamed the gun. The range had recently sold the Smith & Wesson .38 they had been renting so I was shooting a Rossi revolver on Sunday. Didn't like the action as much, and it misfired once and a couple casings got jammed in their chambers on one occasion.

"Bang...Bang...Click" is not how you want to start a string of six shots.

Oh, well. Bottom line: It's my fault for not going to range as often as I should. I think my new motto is going to be "Sunday is Gun Day".

Line of the week comes from one of the staff there at the range after this exchange between him and a guy who was there on a date to do some shooting with a woman who hadn't shot a gun before. The guy was trying to decide whether to rent a .45 or a 9mm for her.

Range Guy: Do you want her to ever come back here with you?

Customer Guy: Huh?

Range Guy: Do you want her to ever come back here with you?

Customer Guy: Yeah, sure.

Range Guy: Get the 22.