Friday, August 27, 2004

Desert Island Discs - updated

From Kim's place, via An Englishman's Castle, comes the BBC's version of "Desert Island Discs". This time around, you have to pick eight records (singles - damn it!), one book, and one luxury item (Kim's was a rifle, if you couldn't guess).

I'll have my answers posted some time in the next 20 years or so. I figure it will take me that long to narrow down my song list. Note that much like the Massachusetts State Constitution these days, my list will be a "living document". I reserve the right to change my answers whenever I damn well feel like it.

Records (updates in red):

1. "Freewill" by Rush
2. "Life by the Drop" by Stevie Ray Vaughn
3. "Hell of a Hat" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
4. "Lunch With Ed" by Dogzilla
5. "You Are the Everything" by R.E.M.
6. "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC
7. "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" by John Lee Hooker
8. "YYZ" by Rush (from the recently released "Rush in Rio" CD)

(for the rest, see note above - then check back in 2024)

Book:

"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" - by Richard P. Feynman

From the Amazon.com review:

Fiercely independent, intolerant of stupidity even when it comes packaged as high intellectualism, unafraid to offend, Feynman informs by entertaining.

Luxury Item:

Hmmmm...I'd pick my guitar, but I kinda suck these days, it's been a while. Maybe a toothbrush and toothpaste. The practical side of me would tell me to bring a Leatherman Wave (or a good folding saw, camp shovel, etc.). I'm gonna have to get back to you on this one as well. Remember, I reserve the right to flip-flop on any these.

UPDATE: Screw it. I'll assume there are critters on the island that I can eat, or that can eat me. I'll go with this:



Remington 870 Marine Magnum 12 ga. shotgun (with several thousand round of birdshot, buckshot, and slugs). That should do it.