Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Chucklehead of the Day

Two words: Mo. Ron.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Monroe County Coroner David Toumey was hospitalized with a leg wound after accidentally shooting himself while trying to demonstrate gun safety.

Toumey told The Herald-Times for a story published Saturday that he was demonstrating gun safety to some people at a Lake Monroe boat ramp about 11 p.m. Wednesday when he accidentally shot himself.

Hmmmm...11:00 at night at a boat ramp by a lake? Nope, nothing fishy here here. That's usually the time and place at which most gun safety demonstrations occur (roll eyes here). Does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe, this guy was out partying on the lake with his friends, irresponsibly showing off his gun, and negligently shot himself in the leg in the process? Are we getting the whole story? I suspect not.

He said that as he checked to make sure his weapon was unloaded, the gun discharged, and a bullet struck him in his left leg.

Translation: While screwing around, showing off my gun to my buddies, I inadvertantly pointed it at my leg, negligently placed my finger inside the trigger guard, and stupidly pulled said trigger, causing the firearm to discharge in the direction I was aiming it.

Clearly, the gun manufacturer is liable here for manufacturing a device that performed exactly it was designed to. I smell a cash settlement. Quick, someone get John "A Boy Named Sue" Edwards on the phone.