Monday, October 25, 2004

Massachusetts Voter Fraud

So, just this morning, I stroll into my local 7-Eleven (Boston) for my morning fill-up, with the "7-Election" in full swing.

So pour up your favorite 7-Eleven hot beverage in a special 20-ounce Bush, Kerry or Third Party/No Opinion cups as a daily reminder to take part in the political process.


Now normally I would go for the 24-ounce coffee - neither Bush nor Kerry, and 20% more substance. However, this morning there were no 24-ounce cups or Third party/No Opinion cups available at the coffee counter. I guess the Massachusetts Dems were successful in keeping Nader out of the "7-Election" as well. Seeing as there's no way I would be caught dead drinking out of a John Kerry coffee cup, I chose the Bush cup and proceeded to the checkout.

The woman working the counter then "tries" to scan the barcode on the cup. Conveniently, it wouldn't scan properly. I go to this same store nearly every morning for my coffee and have yet to see the scanner misread any item. She manually entered the price, I paid, and was on my way. Not until I got to my car did I realize I had just been disenfranchised.

How many more voters will not be heard from in this, the most important election in our history? This injustice must not stand!

UPDATE (10/25/04): As of this morning, Bush leads the race 51.17% to 48.83%.

UPDATE (10/26/04): Sure enough, same thing happened this morning - coincidence? I think not. I smell a vast left-wing conspiracy in the works here. Tomorrow I plan to use a regular cup to see if her scanner suddenly decides to function properly. For Thursday, it will be back to the George Bush cup. Will keep you posted.

UPDATE (10/27/04): Day 3 - you guessed it, the guy two spots ahead of me in line buys a couple packs of smokes without any scanner malfunction. The next guy - small coffee, plain cup, no problem. My 20-ounce coffee in the plain cup? Yep, no problem. It's back to the Bush cup tomorrow. If the same thing happens this time, I will ask her to re-scan the barcode to confirm the Bush cups aren't defective - that's a whole new conspiracy theory for another day.