Thursday, December 09, 2004

When Over-rated is an Understatement

Can someone PLEEEASE explain to me how Lenny Kravitz made it in the music business, as a musician? Every time he churns out a new "hit", all I can think of is a bunch of 12-year-olds coming out of their first half-hour guitar lesson and trying to write bad rock tunes.

I was unlucky enough to catch him on some late night talk show a few nights ago. I nearly pulled my hair out thinking that this guy is fabulously wealthy as a direct result of his "talent", while I have to get up at 6:00 every morning and go to work at a real job.

Here now are some of the lyrics from his current single "Lady" (the originality of that title is enough to make anyone swoon).

Yeah
Don't you know she blows my mind
All the time
And she makes me feel good
Like a real woman should
Yeah
All the time
Yeah
Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah


Combine these brilliant lyrics with the "chucka chucka chucka chucka" novice-guitarist bar chords he spews out in a flacid display of musical masturbation, and you've got one top-notch Spinal Tap audition tape going on.

And, here's a taste of his Grammy-winning "Fly Away":

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah

I got to get away
Feel I got to get away
Oh oh oh yeah

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you yeah yeah
Oh Yeah !

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you yeah yeah
I got to get away

I want to get away X4
Yeah
I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you yeah yeah
I got to get away

I want to get away X4
Yeah

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah


Good thing, they added the "X4" in there. Otherwise, people might get the impression that the lyrics are too repetitive.