Friday, February 25, 2005

Taking the Cake

Sometimes in life, your first instincts can be second-best. Proof of this comes from James Taranto's Best of the Web column today.

When the pictures of Condi Rice in her high-heeled boots hit the papers, the first thing I thought of was Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walking" and perusing the blogosphere's coverage of this, it seems I was not alone in that regard.

But, I'm kicking myself for missing this one:

I want a girl with a mind like a diamond
I want a girl who knows what's best
I want a girl with shoes that cut
And eyes that burn like cigarettes
I want a girl with the right allocation
Who's fast, and thorough, and sharp as a tack
She's playing with her jewelry, she's putting up her hair
She's touring the facility and picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt,
And a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong jacket.

"Short Skirt/Long Jacket" by Cake (2001)


By the way, if you haven't heard Cake's cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive", you're missing a gem. Check 'it out.