Thursday, June 16, 2005

Father's Day

Father's Day is fast approaching. For anyone at a loss for ideas as to what to get Dad for Father's Day, here are a few suggestions. First, this quote from Kim's recent post on the subject.

A gift certificate to a Sears Tool Store, or Home Depot, or Lowe's, or Cabela's, or Bass Pro. You may think that a gift certificate is an unromantic gift for The Man You Love, but trust me, it isn't.

[snip]

And if you think he has enough tools already, trust me on this: he doesn't.


To that end, here are a few "can never have enough" tools that would make excellent Father's Day gifts, no matter if the dad in your life has one already or not. For the purposes of this post, I will focus solely on the "10 bucks and under" category (think "presents for Daddy" from the kids). All of these items are (or damn well should be) available at any Home Depot store.

1. Husky Folding Lock-back Utility Knife $9.97



I've gone through three of these in the last year and a half. The first two managed to grow legs at the jobsite - such is life. My latest rarely leaves my belt when not in use. I currently have the Craftsman version of this fine tool, which has a textured aluminum body (red) - very nice. And I don't know of any state (Marxachusetts included) in which it is illegal to carry a knife with an exposed blade length of 1-1/8".

2. Stanley 30 Ft. LeverLock Tape Measure $9.88



Every man should have a minimum of three tape measures, one for the garage, house, and car, with at least one of them being a 30-footer. Your individual situation may require additional tape measures (e.g. one for the boat, hunting camp, office, etc.).

3. Master Guard Leather Palm Glove - 6 Pack $9.99



I don't give a shit how tough and manly you think you are, unless you're a full-blown metrosexual (or French), you need a good pair of work gloves. You absolutely cannot beat the bang for your buck you get with these gloves. Sure you can spend ten bucks on one pair of "better" gloves, but what do you do when you lose them. And you will lose them.

4. 2 In. Steel Spring Clamp $1.27



At around a buck and a quarter apiece, you can get eight of these for about ten bucks. If you need me to explain to you why you need a good supply of clamps on hand, I don't want to know you.

Trust me, I could go on at ridiculous length on this theme (notice I made no mention of duct tape, vise grips, or 10-in-1 screwdrivers), but there are a few solid leads there to get you started.

If, after reading this, you're still stuck for gift ideas, you may adopt my fallback position: When in doubt, Guinness Stout.