Saturday, June 25, 2005

Or I Could Buy Me Some Pabst

Read this headline, then tell me what images come to mind.

Trust Fund Set Up For Teen Injured In Blast


You probably came up with something similar to what I did, that maybe there was some kid riding his bike over a manhole cover that blew off, injuring him in the process. Or that, at least, the "teen" involved was in some way the victim of a tragic ACCIDENT.

Wrong.

BOSTON -- A trust fund was established Friday for a local teen who was making a sparkler bomb in a friend's Lancaster, Mass., home on Mother's Day when the pipe exploded.

Ricky Cataldo, 18, lost his eye, two fingers on his left hand and had to undergo 10 hours of brain surgery to remove the piece of the pipe that was lodged in his brain. His hand eventually had to be amputated.


I guess the headline: "Man Loses Hand When Pipe Bomb He Was Making Exploded" wouldn't quite drum up the same amount of sympathy. And, yes, once again, I must be the biggest cold-hearted bastard walking the face of the earth. Because, I can't imagine kicking in even a nickel for this idiot.

Gee, Ricky, I'm sorry your hand, like, exploded and stuff. But maybe, just maybe, that was something you should have considered prior to making a fucking pipe bomb!