Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Slow News Day

OK, it's frivilous, lighthearted crap time.

The American Film Insitute just released their Top 100 list of U.S. movie quotes. Not much to argue with here, given that the list was generated from surveys sent to movie industry insiders (and Harry Callahan and Travis Bickle both managed to make the Top 10).

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." - Clark Gable, "Gone With the Wind"

2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." - Marlon Brando, "The Godfather"

3. "I coulda been a contender" - Marlon Brando, "On the Waterfront"

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." - Judy Garland, "The Wizard of Oz"

5. "Here's looking at you, kid." - Humphrey Bogart, "Casablanca"

6. "Go ahead, make my day." - Clint Eastwood, "Sudden Impact"

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." - Gloria Swanson, "Sunset Boulevard"

8. "May the Force be with you." - Harrison Ford, "Star Wars"

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." - Bette Davis, "All About Eve"

10. "You talking to me?"- Robert De Niro, "Taxi Driver"

Other notables:

"Casablanca" led the list with six quotes, including Bogart's "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" (No. 20) and "We'll always have Paris" (No. 43), and Bergman's "Play it, Sam. Play `As Time Goes By'" (No. 28).

Other highlights include Sidney Poitier's "They call me Mister Tibbs!" (No. 16), "In the Heat of the Night"; Roy Scheider's "You're gonna need a bigger boat" (No. 35), "Jaws"; Arnold Schwarzenegger's "I'll be back" (No. 37), "The Terminator"; Renee Zellweger's "You had me at `hello'" (No. 52), "Jerry Maguire"; Peter Sellers' "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" (No. 64), "Dr. Strangelove"; and Charlton Heston's "Soylent Green is people!" (No. 77), "Soylent Green."

The oldest line was Al Jolson's "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet" (No. 71) from 1927's "The Jazz Singer." The newest was Andy Serkis' "My precious" (No. 85) from 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers."

Rowdy comedy was represented (John Belushi's "Toga! Toga!", No. 82, from "National Lampoon's Animal House"), along with horror (Jack Nicholson's "Here's Johnny!", No. 68, from "The Shining"). So was musical comedy (Barbra Streisand's "Hello, gorgeous," No. 81, from "Funny Girl"), and epic romance (Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm king of the world!", No. 100, from "Titanic").

Single words made the list, Orson Welles' "Rosebud" (No. 17) from "Citizen Kane" and Walter Brooke's "Plastics" (No. 42) from "The Graduate."

Super-spy James Bond scored with lines that began with original 007 Sean Connery: "Bond. James Bond" (No. 22) from "Dr. No" and "A martini. Shaken, not stirred" (No. 90) from "Goldfinger."


No Jeff Spicoli??? I demand a recount!