Friday, August 26, 2005

Why?

On the heels of yesterday's post about the recent stabbing death of a cab driver in Boston, we have this follow-up piece from the Boston Herald.

Stunned family of slain driver left asking: Why?

Heros Previlon felt immune to the dangers of driving a taxi cab at night in Boston, assuaging his family's fears by saying: "What can happen? I have God."

Yesterday, after the hardworking Haitian cab driver was slain over a $7 fare, Previlon's extended family, six siblings who live in the Boston area, cried out to God with one word, "Why?"


My heart goes out to the family of Mr. Previlon. I'd really like to say I was shocked to hear of such a senseless killing in the city I call home (for now), but I'm not.

As far as why this happened, try this on for size.

Because despite one's admirable and optimistic faith in God and the goodness of humanity, we have little choice but to share this planet with violent criminals who will feel no remorse in stabbing you to death over a pocketful of change, and equally morally-bereft politicians whose sincere belief it is that you do not have the right to defend yourself from said criminals.

Yes, it's that simple.