Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Coretta Scott King (1927-2006)

From the AP:

ATLANTA --Coretta Scott King, who turned a life shattered by her husband's assassination into one devoted to enshrining his legacy of human rights and equality, has died, former mayor Andrew Young told NBC Tuesday morning. She was 78.

Young, who was a former civil rights activist and was close to the King family, broke the news during a phone call he made to the "Today" show.

Asked how he found out about her death, Young said: "I understand she was asleep last night and her daughter tried to wake her up."


I don't know too many details about her life and legacy, and I'm sure I will learn more as the stories of her life take center-stage today. But, she always appeared to me to be a strong woman who carried herself at all times with the utmost grace and dignity.

This world could use more people like her.

And speaking of grace and dignity (or severe lack thereof)...

I hope I'm wrong here, but after Senator Kennedy's little temper tantrum on the floor of the senate yesterday (video here), I would not be surprised in the least to see his office issue a statement exploiting the passing of Mrs. King in a shameless, last-ditch attempt to torpedo the Alito confirmation by again labeling Samuel Alito as a hate-filled racist (who apparently enjoys kidnapping women at gunpoint from their workplace and forcing them to harpoon disabled people in fenced-in game reserves, while smoking cigars rolled in the leaves of exotic, endangered tree species dipped in illegal alien blood).