Wednesday, March 21, 2007

R.I.P. Calvert DeForest

AKA: Larry Bud Melman

NEW YORK - The balding, bespectacled nebbish who gained cult status as the oddball Larry "Bud" Melman on David Letterman's late night television shows has died after a long illness. The Brooklyn-born Calvert DeForest, who was 85, died Monday at a hospital on Long Island, the Letterman show announced Wednesday. He made dozens of appearances on Letterman's shows from 1982 through 2002, handling a variety of twisted duties: dueting with Sonny Bono on "I Got You, Babe," doing a Mary Tyler Moore impression during a visit to Minneapolis, handing out hot towels to arrivals at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.


Rest in peace, Mr. Melman.

I think I'm gonna fix me up some Toast-On-a-Stick now, thanks.

UPDATE: The Headmistress digs up the pic.