Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What? Feeling Left Out, Guys?

Apparently, Hillary Clinton isn't the only candidate raking in the cash from suspect campaign donors.

I know. I'm shocked too.

Elrick Williams's toddler niece Carlyn may be one of the youngest contributors to this year's presidential campaign. The 2-year-old gave $2,300 to Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

So did her sister and brother, Imara, 13, and Ishmael, 9, and her cousins Chan and Alexis, both 13. Altogether, according to newly released campaign finance reports, the extended family of Williams, a wealthy Chicago financier, handed over nearly a dozen checks in March for the maximum allowed under federal law to Obama.

Such campaign donations from young children would almost certainly run afoul of campaign finance regulations, several campaign lawyers said. But as bundlers seek to raise higher and higher sums for presidential contenders this year, the number who are turning to checks from underage givers appears to be on the rise.


What? You mean they found a way to circumvent the law?

Again, I'm simply shocked. The next thing you're gonna tell me is that our nation's drug laws have been proven to be equally ineffective.

Now, in the interest of fairness, the Washington Post does mention that it's not just the Democrats whose candidates are benefiting from this bullshit.

A supporter of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney (R), Susan Henken of Dover, Mass., wrote her own $2,300 check, and her 13-year-old son, Samuel, and 15-year-old daughter, Julia, each wrote $2,300 checks, for example.


Nope. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

WARNING: If you're the kind of person who doesn't take kindly to having his of her intelligence insulted, I beg you to go no further, and stop reading this post at this point.

OK, you've been warned.

Samuel used money from his bar mitzvah and money he earned "dog sitting," and Julia used babysitting money to make the contributions, their mother said. "My children like to donate to a lot of causes. That's just how it is in my house," Henken said.


Uh-huh.

I'm remembering back when I was 13 years old. And, if someone had dropped $2,300 cash into my lap, the very first thing I'd have done with it is cut a check to the John Anderson for President campaign.

Dirtbike? I don't need no stinkin' dirtbike.

Really, Dad, I swear! I want to give more than TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS to some rich guy who wants to be president.