Monday, February 14, 2005

Pop Quiz Time Again

Guess which one of the following t-shirts has allegedly been removed from BodenUSA's on-line catalog after the retailer received numerous consumer complaints about its inappropriate, non-PC design.



Here's the e-mail reportedly being sent to their concerned customers:

Dear Customer

I am writing to apologise.

We feature a T shirt in our new Mini Boden catalogue with an image of a toy gun (Sheriff T Shirt). Many of you have contacted us about this.

I don't want you to think we are an irresponsible organisation. I founded this company to create clothing ranges that captured a spirit of fun, honesty, individuality and family. We have made a mistake with this product and we feel stupid, especially me. Please accept my apologies.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't give the selection of this T shirt enough thought. I have 3 girls, Anna, Kate and Stella. We don't see any guns in our household. I relied on memories of my toys when I was a boy (a long time ago) when life was a lot safer.

We have now removed the Sheriff gun T Shirt from sale in the US. However, as we print our catalogues well in advance you could receive another which still features the T shirt.

Thank you very much for letting us know how you feel. Keep the feedback coming; good or bad. It's the only way we can get better.

I am truly sorry.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely, Johnnie Boden

Founder

BodenUSA

Post: 3580 NW 56th Street

Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33309

Tel: 1-866-206-9508

Johnnie.Boden@Bodenusa.com


What a wuss. A few points to make here, then I'm done. First, no adult named John or Jonathan should go by the name of "Johnnie" under ANY circumstances.

Second, as a kid, Li'l Johnnie here played with (eek!) toy guns AND life was a lot safer then. That's odd. Yet somehow, the mere presence of a picture of a toy gun today is some kind of threat to society? Do these people ever actually listen to themselves?

Third, while Johnnie may be the founder of BodenUSA, it's pretty clear he isn't actually FROM the USA. His use of the words "organisation", "catalogues", and "apologise" is a pretty good indicator of this, as well as the dead giveaway at the end, "Post". I'd now like to officially revise my initial assessment of Mr. Boden from a run-of-the-mill everyday "wuss" to "full-blown, pansy-assed, eurotrash wussbag".

Now to order a couple of the racially disparaging "Navajo" design t-shirts, the marketing of which he has no apparent moral qualms over. I see they have them in my kids' size.

(link via Gunner at No Quarters)

UPDATE: Well, that took all of four seconds to confirm. Mr. Boden is a proud and obedient subject of the crime-free, "no guns allowed" United Kingdom.

Despite being burgled, twice, and on one occasion having to refinance completely, Boden has now become an established player in the upmarket mail order clothing world.


I blame all those capguns flooding the streets in the early 70's.