Thursday, March 17, 2005

Gun Crime in Rozzie - Who Knew?

This MGCSS comes from my neighborhood of Roslindale, and serves as yet another shining example of the logic (or ridiculous lack thereof) that's been driving the gun control movement in this state for the last 30 years or so.

Cops bag SUV trio on drug, gun charges


A shooting victim named "Dirty Marvin" tumbled bleeding out of an SUV to the feet of Boston police Tuesday night as his pals sped off in a bumbled attempt to save their own skins.

Jose Mow, 17, Carlos Moore, 19, and Renaldo Cox, 17, didn't get far before police pulled over their Ford Explorer and allegedly found a handgun under the back seat, as well as six bags of pot.

The episode began shortly before 7:45 p.m. Tuesday when Mow and Donald "Dirty Marvin" Livingston, 30, allegedly walked in one door of the Archdale Community Center in Roslindale and emerged from another to gunfire.


So, here's another incident of gun crime taking place less than one mile from my house. But, according to the Boston Police Department licensing authority, the mere presence of violent crime in my community is not reason enough to allow me to carry a gun to protect myself and my family from gun-wielding drug dealers in my neighborhood.

They tell me, though, that if I've been the actual victim of gun crime, then I might be considered for the issuance of a carry permit.

I wonder if that was the reason for issuance Dirty Marvin and his friends put down on their LTC applications.

I guess all I have to do is start hanging around down at the Archdale projects with a big roll of 20's in my hand, and hope I suffer a minor enough gunshot wound so that I'll still be alive to take my LTC application in to BPD headquarters once I'm discharged from the hospital.

Seems a bit odd to reward those who knowingly engage in reckless behavior and to punish those of us who live our lives in a responsible manner by depriving us of our Constitutionally- protected rights. But this is Boston, Massachusetts - why would I expect anything less?