Friday, December 09, 2005

A Good Sign

So, I met with our contractor last night to sign the contract for the renovation work we're having done prior to the condo conversion planned for our two-family house (significantly more $$$ for us when we sell). Part of our arrangement is that I will be buying all the cabinets, fixtures, flooring, tile, and appliances, and he will be providing the labor for installation, as well as any associated plumbing and electrical work.

I told him I'd probably be making at least one run up to a Sears, Lowe's or Home Depot in New Hampshire with the Odyssey to load up on tax-free goods. He told me he's got customers in Rhode Island (7% sales tax!) who do the same thing, only they drive into Massachusetts to save on the sales tax. Now, there's a wild concept for you.

Anyway, the subject turned to how unfriendly Massachusetts is toward anyone who actually works (shudder) for a living. He told me what a costly pain in the ass it is to get licensed as a general contractor in this state. You can guess where this conversation went.

Turns out he's been a licensed gun owner in the Commonwealth for close to 20 years now. He had questions concerning the legal technicalities of carrying with or without a Class A license, and I was more than happy to further enlighten him on the subject. It really helped soften the blow of writing a sizeable check to someone I had met only a couple weeks prior.

Now, if I'm hiring someone to work on my house, and thereby be in close vicinity to my wife and children on a near-daily basis, I could hardly think of a better character reference than a Massachusetts-issued gun permit.