Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mumbling On, and On, and On

From The Daily Free Press at Boston University:

Mayor Thomas Menino, backed by community religious leaders and officials from the Boston Public Health Commission, announced plans to make trauma counseling more available to Boston residents affected by violence.


More trauma counseling, huh? Now, that takes place after the trauma occurs, if I have my definitions straight, right?

So, don't worry, folks. It seems that once you've become a victim of violence, the city will be rolling out the welcome mat for you for some of its new counseling services. Don't you feel better already?

[Dr. Peggy Johnson of the BPHC] said more than 80 percent of violence cases result in trauma symptoms such as depression, flashbacks, guilt, nightmares and a heightened sense of vulnerability.


Forgot to mention bleeding, bruising, and assorted forms of physical pain and discomfort caused by beating, slapping, bludgeoning, strangling, stabbing, and shooting.

"Locks and keys are not the answer to solving some of these problems," Johnson said.


But waiting for victims to come to you for counseling after they've had the shit kicked out of them is?

City Councilor Charles Yancey (Dorchester, Mattapan) acknowledged the importance of trauma awareness in a Feb. 2 article in The Daily Free Press.

"We're talking about human beings and the shock they experience. We should never accept the violence and we should never accept the trauma," Yancey said.


Then get off your ass, Chuck, and do something to empower the people to provide for their own self-defense, so that they don't become victims of violence in the first place. If all you're going to do is give someone a shoulder to cry on after the damage is done, then - whether you realize it or not - you have accepted the violence.

This takes me back to the day I was sitting in the Boston Police Department licensing office being "interviewed" as part of my License to Carry a Firearm application process. The officer told me I did not meet their requirements (of political connectedness) for consideration for an unrestricted license, which would have allowed me to carry a concealed handgun in public for self-defense purposes.

However, he explained further, if I had actually been a victim of the type of violence I referenced in my application letter, then I could apply to be considered for such a license...once the gaping headwound healed, and I regained consciousness, I suppose.