Thursday, November 09, 2006

This Does Not Bode Well.

From the New Hampshire Union Leader:

Blue Hampshire: Live free? Just try

When it became clear that Democrats had won the state Senate, the first thing out of party vice-chairman Ray Buckley's mouth was the proclamation that Democrats would regulate businesses by banning smoking in restaurants and bars, raising the minimum wage and trying to force down health care costs. He did not even mention education funding.

Numerous Democratic candidates who did mention the state's most pressing issue indicated that they want to shift the responsibility for education funding from local governments to the state -- and increase state school spending. That is going to take a vast amount of new revenue that, for the moment, remains in taxpayers' wallets.

If Lynch's actions in his first term are any indication, Democrats will resist budget cuts and efficiencies, push for millions in new spending and support a slew of new regulations on businesses and individuals.

New Hampshire voters willingly risked the New Hampshire Advantage so they could express their disgust with Republicans. They did. Now let's hope that New Hampshire Democrats keep their word on fiscal conservatism better than national Republicans did.


I think I'm gonna throw up.

UPDATE: OK, I've got a few minutes to expand on this.

I don't smoke. I don't allow smoking in my house or in my car. If you CHOOSE to smoke, that's OK by me. Just don't expect me to visit your smoke-filled house very often. Nor, should you expect me to pay your way when the bills for the radiation therapy start rolling in.

Do I enjoy sitting in a smoky bar and waking up the next morning with the stench of stale cigarette smoke in my hair and on my clothes? No.

Did someone force me to sit in that bar against my will?

No.

Is the bar in question my private property?

No.

Is it publicly-owned property, paid for with my tax dollars?

No.

Should the government have the authority to restrict the rights of a property owner to allow people who are on his property with his permission to engage in legal activities?

I can't believe we actually have to have such a discussion.

True liberals, if there are any left in this country, should be up in arms (figuratively, of course) over this. And, they would be, were they capable of seeing the abject hypocrisy in play here. Today's liberals want the government out of their bedrooms, but into everone else's business. I know at least sixteen of the Democrats about to assume their new-flund reins on power would have no problem, whatsoever, sending federal authorities into my bedroom to take away my gun cabinet.

And, no I'm not exaggerating. They're on record as having voted for just that earlier this year.

Democrats have no problem stomping on the rights of those they disagree with, while rallying against other politicians throughout the country looking to pass laws restricting the rights of their ideological foes, whether we're talking about being able to marry the person of one's choice, prevent or terminate an unwanted pregnancy, or become independently wealthy at the expense of the fast food restaurant that forced you become a lazy, fat-assed sloth.

Note that, as much as I do support the notion that people should be free to marry whomever they choose, the folks leading the gay marriage movement wil receive little support from me as long as they continue to elect lawmakers and support legislation that takes away my right to defend myself.

Government intrusion into people's private lives is a bad thing, no matter what side of the aisle it comes from. Unlike the state legislature in South Carolina, I don't give a shit who you want to marry, or what foreign objects you want to stick in your partner's orifices in the privacy of your own home. On the other hand, I don't care if you want to keep a closet full of automatic weapons in your house, and carry an MP5 under your jacket to defend yourself, your family, and your community.

It's none of my fucking business!

Passing laws to restrict people's freedoms, seemingly for the sole purpose of flexing one's political muscle over one's ideological opponents, is so fucking un-American it makes me ill. As is painfully obvious now, the one-time party of limited government is a thing of the past.

As reader, Ardee, said in the comments to an earlier post, it looks like I'm moving north just in time. If these big-government, nanny-state liberals in New Hampshire think they can just do away with all the reasons I chose to relocate there, they're going to find themselves with a bigger fight on their hands than they could ever have imagined.

OK, I gotta run. I have a house to buy.