Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Quest For Freedom (cont.)

Well, we're getting there. A minor glitch with the furnace was taken care of today, and "the big truck" heads up tomorrow morning. Unpacking and gratuitous celebratory beverages to follow.

Meanwhile...

I went to the Town Clerk's office today to get my certificate of residency, which I'll need to get my NH driver's license. Then, walked around the corner to the police station to pick up my Resident Pistol/Revolver License application.

Ten bucks is ten bucks, eh?

For their sake, I hope the ACLU, or any other special interest group from the Perpetual Victimhood Society, doesn't need to conduct business in the Town Clerk's office there any time soon. They won't be too pleased with the Christmas tree on prominent display in the lobby. And, the evergreen garlands with the patriotic red, white, and blue ribbons would likely send them into convulsions.

Next, was a quick stop at Lindy's Country Store for a sandwich and a bag of chips. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner, Raj, a hard-working, law-abiding, legal immigrant, and fellow refugee from the People's Progressive Republic.

Lindy's Country Store - Brentwood, NH
(photo credit: brentwood.town-center.org)


We had a great talk about property tax rates, education, gun laws, free-spending politicians, and Massholes of the clueless, dingbat variety who move up to the area only to find that their $500,000 McMansion isn't connected to a public sewer and that their backyard actually has a large concrete box buried in it, that gets filled with human waste and needs to be pumped out periodically.

"Ooooh...gross!"

And, their drinking water comes out of the dirt and rocks deep beneath their luxurious abodes!

"Aaaaaagghh....dirt!"

But, I digress.

So, anyway, there I was, in a small grocery store, surrounded by all kinds of beer and wine, yet somehow, I managed to make it out of there without downing three bottles of Pinot Noir and driving drunk through a schoolyard full of kids.

So, to those I leave behind, I say enjoy your Question 1 landslide victory from last month's elections. As for me, I'll be enjoying my newly-restored right to CHOOSE, thank you very much.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd have to give Lindy's Country Store a solid 4.

- Good sandwiches
- Good beer and wine selection, at decent prices (the Smuttynose IPA was 50 cents less than at the package stores in Boston)
- Large variety of tobacco products for those who CHOOSE to partake (chew, dip, cigars, cigarettes, pipe tobacco, and even corn cob pipes)
- Good assortment of hardware, automotive, and household products
- Live bait

Yes...life is good.