Sunday, July 22, 2007

More Massachusetts Mentality

Today's "Quote of the Day" comes from the comments to this post over at Universal Hub (emphasis not mine):

"...there's absolutely nothing wonderful, courageous, intelligent, or secure about owning a firearm."


I beg to differ, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Gracie Watson would likely beg to differ.
Jarred Magers would likely beg to differ.
This 79-year-old homeowner would likely beg to differ.
Chad Ryan would likely beg to differ.
This woman and her 14-year-old son would likely beg to differ.
Gordon Absher would likely beg to differ.
This woman in Tulsa would likely beg to differ.
Christine Bruce would likely beg to differ.
This Pelham, New Hampshire homeowner would likely beg to differ.
The family of this 12-year-old boy would likely beg to differ.
83-year-old Harry Carpenter would likely beg to differ.
Stephen DeFerrari would likely beg to differ.
Baton Rouge police officer Brian Harrison would likely beg to differ.
Judith Kuntz would likely beg to differ.
Rodney J. Nowlin would likely beg to differ.
Georgia Belle Sullivan would likely beg to differ.
Donald Narkis would likely beg to differ.
Geoff Hamann would likely beg to differ.
Lawrence Maida would likely beg to differ.
The villagers of Gusa Jamat would likely beg to differ.

Need more? 'Cause I got more.

Now, looking at the other side of the coin, should a fellow citizen choose not to own a gun, that's fine with me. In fact, I will take up arms, if necessary, to defend the freedom of all Americans to make that personal choice for themselves. I strongly suspect I'm not alone in that regard, either.

But, I feel compelled to illustrate just how woefully unlearned people sound when they make such baseless statements as the one above.

As I wrote last March:

I can only assume that when the gun-grabbers say, "If it saves just ONE life, it will be worth it.", what they really mean is, "If it costs us a few thousand lives a year to achieve our totalitarian police state, then so be it. Christ, anything is better than ceding power and responsibility to the proletariat."