Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Quest Continues

So, I think the sale price on that Sony TV disappearing from the Circuit City website yesterday (though it came back today) was a sign from the HDTV gods, telling me to hold off on that purchase for a little while longer.

Taking the advice of some of my readers, I began looking at the Panasonic plasma sets. Gotta say, I'm liking what I'm seeing. The TH-42PZ700U has racked up quite a few favorable reviews. And, the folks at CNET and Consumer Reports liked it a lot.

(click to biggify)

Now, this begs to obvious question. On a 42" screen is the difference between 720p and 1080p resolution really noticeable? I will be watching mostly HD cable from Comcast, and depending on how well the TV handles SD DVD's, may be purchasing a Blu-ray/HD-DVD player to go with it.

I've read that a 42" screen can't even make full use of a 1080p signal. But others have said there is an appreciable difference between the two sets, even on a 42" screen.

What's the deal?

The 720p Panasonic (TH-42PX77U) got CR's "Best Buy" stamp of approval. I'm not exactly a fan of the appearance of the side-mounted speakers, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It's $1,200 at Circuit City right now.

I guess it's back to the store to have a look.

UPDATE: OK, I think I'm almost there.

Circuit City has the Panasonic TH-42PX75U on sale for $1,049.99. That's 70 bucks less than Amazon's current price, and no shipping involved.



UPDATE II:
Pulled the trigger. Picking it up this afternoon.

UPDATE III: This thing rocks! I'm watching SD Comcast digital cable right now, and apart from the stretched image, it looks really good, considering. We'll be getting the HD cable box shortly.

As for the screen reflecting the lights from the room, you almost have to look for the reflections while your watching in order to see them. Not an issue. I'm glad I went with this model instead of the anti-glare screens, as they seemed to wash out the picture a bit on the sets I looked at.

Also picked up this Sony DVD player - upconverts standard DVD's to 720p/1080i. I'll put R30 on at halftime and see how she goes.

Two thumbs up here.

Go Pats!