Thursday, March 24, 2005

I'll Take "Kids Who Kick Ass"...

...for $400, please, Alex.

Student reinstated after suspension over smoking principal photos

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- A high school student who caught his principal apparently breaking a state anti-smoking law on film was suspended after he posted the photos on the Internet.

But the school district on Wednesday reversed course, wiping Eliazar Velasquez's suspension from his record, and saying the principal was not setting a good example for students.

Velasquez, a sophomore at Central High School, snapped pictures of Principal Elaine Almagno apparently smoking a cigarette outside an open school door earlier this month. Smoking within 25 feet of a school building violates state law.

Velasquez then posted the pictures on a Web site and distributed fliers at school telling students where to find the photos. On the site, along with the photos, was a message criticizing Almagno.


From Eliazar's website:

I got information from a certain individual that Ms.Almagno had a small spot behind the school where she liked to smoke at almost every day after school. I checked out the spot before school started and spent the rest of the school day looking for the best view to commit my deed. I wasn't able to get any good spots from inside the school, so I would have to risk coming out into the open to get the shot, but it was well worth it. I sneaked around after school until she finally came out with another teacher(who wasn't smoking) to have a friendly chat, and a smoke. I had to be real careful, since there were still people walking about. I hid behind a wall and took as many pictures as I could(I even got one where she was looking straight down at the camera!), and took off with my goodies.


OK, this might not exactly be the next "Rathergate", but this kid rocks! Good job!