Friday, March 18, 2005

Tire Iron Maiden

Well, you can't turn on your radio in the Boston area today without hearing about this story out of Andover, Massachusetts (the title of this post was a suggestion from a caller to John Depetro's show on WRKO this morning).

An irate Andover housewife was freed without bail on assault charges after a case of snowball rage allegedly prompted her to chase down some kids with a tire iron and a can of pepper spray.


I'll hold off (for now) on commenting on the incident itself. I've heard too many varying accounts of the incident to make an accurate assessment of what actually transpired. I will, however, comment on this aspect of it:

NewsCenter 5's Jack Harper reported that Marie Needs, 48, was released after denying charges that included assault and battery with a tire iron and unlicensed possession of mace.


Now, for the benefit of my out-of-state readers who might be wondering why the hell one would need a license to carry pepper spray (and missed it the first time I posted it), I refer you to the FAQ page of the Boston Police Department's website.



I hope that clears things up for you.

UPDATE: 100% legal alternative for Massachusetts residents - no license required. To borrow a phrase...heh.