Wednesday, August 10, 2005

But it's FREE!

From the Letters to the Editor of the Boston Globe:

The $1,300 wheelchair is no bargain

MY 83-YEAR-OLD mother has been put on oxygen, and received a wheelchair through Medicare. I learned that Medicare is being charged $275 per month for rental of the oxygen concentrator. There is also a rental fee for the wheelchair of $100 per month. I found I could buy the oxygen concentrator on the Web for under $1,000, and the wheelchair for less than $200.

I called Medicare, and then Healthnow (billing agent) to see why these items could not just be purchased. I was told that Congress is where I needed to take my argument because they need to follow "congressional mandates" for the process. In addition, I was told that after 10 months, my mother would receive a notice either to continue renting the wheelchair, or to purchase it (via Medicare). If she decided to purchase it, Medicare would pay the supplier three more months, and the wheelchair would be hers.

Medicare, which is paid for by you, me, and other taxpayers, will end up paying $1,300 for a wheelchair that can be purchased for $200. That is, of course, if my mother does not elect to continue renting it until she departs this world.

There is a major problem with the system. Why is this idiotic process allowed to happen? Why can't Medicare just purchase all equipment for citizens, with a buyback from the distributors when it is no longer needed?

ROBERT FOLEY
Georgetown


You had me at "congressional mandates".