Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Things That Go Bump In the Night

It was about 11:30 or so, last night, and I was just settling into bed when I heard a noise coming from the cellar, like a bunch of boxes and cans being knocked over.

I had been doing some yard work yesterday, and I couldn't remember if I had closed the outside cellar door. Before I could finish that thought, I heard the clattering sound again, so I figured [read: I hoped] it was just a critter of some kind that had walked into the cellar and was looking for a bite to eat.

Just to be on the safe side, I grabbed the .45 from the bedside pistol safe, checked the safety, and went downstairs to investigate. I got to the kitchen, grabbed my cell phone, and slowly opened the door to the cellar. Keeping the front sight of the pistol trained toward the bottom of the stairs, I hit the lights.

I couldn't hear anything, so I foolishly decided to go into the cellar to investigate the noise. Well, it's a good thing I had my cell phone with me. I was able to snap a quick picture of the critters who had stumbled into the cellar.