Sunday, May 04, 2008

I'll Pass, Thanks

The Independent (UK): Slap! The modern man receives a make-up call

Remember the fuss about David Beckham's "boyzilian" in an underwear advert? Or Frank Lampard's waxed armpits? Well, the male beauty regime is about to get a whole lot more complicated. Last week Harvey Nichols launched Jean Paul Gaultier's new make-up range for men. Monsieur – a range of 17 products for men, which includes bronzers, a brow pencil and eyeliner – is the latest part of a rapidly expanding male grooming industry.

A spokeswoman for the Knightsbridge store said on Friday that Monsieur was proving popular with "fashion-conscious straight men to metrosexual and gay men. In general there has been a great boost in male grooming products, and men's make-up is a natural extension of this trend." She added: "Many men already borrow their girlfriends' products."


Quoth Brad Paisley:

Yeah, with all of these men
Lining up to get neutered,
It's hip now to be feminized.
I don't highlight my hair.
I've still got a pair.
Yeah, honey, I'm still a guy

Oh, my eyebrows ain't plucked
There's a gun in my truck.
Oh, thank God, I'm still a guy.