Sunday, June 10, 2007

Observation du Jour

A few days ago, I commented:

Reminds me of the people who ask Congressmen what bills they passed, as if that's a measure of their job performance (i.e. more new laws = better job performance). Whereas, if a congressmen told me he had a 90+% success rate at getting bills killed in committee, then I'd be impressed.


Needless to say, that sentiment is not shared by some members of the Massachusetts General Court, even the conservative ones (relatively speaking, of course).

State House Minority Leader Rep. Brad Jones (R-N. Reading) slammed his colleagues in the Legislature this week for holding just 17 formal sessions in the first six months of the year and passing just 44 of the 6,300 bills filed.


A 99.3% kill rate? What's the problem?

"If we went any slower over here we’d be going in reverse," he fumed.


You say that like it's a bad thing, Brad.

I can't think of anything that would benefit the Commonwealth more than a complete reversal of course. The only downside I could see would be the "un-migration" of jobs and skilled workers leaving New Hampshire to return to their homeland.