Saturday, April 09, 2005

Reader E-mails

I got a bunch of e-mails over the last week or so from folks sending me links to stories in the news that I either missed or decided not to write about, or asking questions about some of the other crap going down in our fair Commonwealth.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to answer a couple of these folks' inquiries pass the buck.

Scott G. writes:

I was just in Beantown for the premiere of "Fever Pitch", and I had the misfortune of staying in a hotel room facing the anti-gun billboard outside Fenway. (In the movie, it can be seen heralding the end of the AWB.)

This week, it has two panes. A blue one: "Massachusetts: You're more likely to live here." Followed by: "Most effective gun laws and fewest gun fatalaties. Gun laws work."

Since you no doubt study your state more than I do, I was wondering what your take on this was. I'm assuming it's some form of bullshit, but I bet you could tell me specifically where they're getting the information. I'm also curious to know who keeps buying that ad space. The local government? HCI? Brady Bunch?


Scott, see this response from GOAL (Gun Owners' Action League) and this chart I recreated from their website showing a comparison of firearms-related injuries from before and after the "common-sense" Gun Control Act of 1998.



As far as who's buying the ad space goes, that would be this misguided organization - and I'm being far too kind with that characterization.

And, reader Seth points to this Boston Globe article, assuming I would have blogged on it earlier.

As gun makers seek to limit liability, a family stands opposed

Truth be told, I was going to blog on it, having recently read a related post by Jeff at Alphecca, where he takes what the mainstream media is reporting regarding the gunmakers' liability legislation, and compares it to the actual text of Senate Bill S397. The results will shock you...not.

Anyway, Jeff takes this Boston Globe writer out to the woodshed in this post - and by doing so, saves me the trouble of digging up his previous post and writing my own expletive-laden tirade. Thanks, man.